Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Litepanel Micropros

Even with HDR there are certain things you can only do in post.

As you might know, I spent 110 days on the road this year, shooting in 15 countries and I wanted to share this shot of a bar in Bangkok.  What's so unusual about this shot?  I basically lit it with one AA battery powered Litepanel Mircopro.  And no stands.

Each lit area is a separate still.  I sat the Lightpanel in the chair to light the girl in the f.g.  Because the Litepanels don't create heat you can do that without damaging furniture.  The talent with his back to us held the Litepanel to light the talent in the b.g.  My producer walked around down lighting all the points of interest in the shot.  Finally, I took one shot in the dark for the exterior city scape.

The ten shots were combined in post.

I literally went around the world four times this year and here's what I carried.  Note the two Litepanel Micropros at the bottom center of the picture.

Sometimes we would use "house" lights or grip truck and crew but most of the time the two Lightpanels were my entire lighting kit.

FYI, we tried both re-chargeable and lithium batteries and I'm here to tell you use the lithium AA's.  It's amazing how long they last.

If I had just one c-stand to hold the light steady we could have done the bar shot in video, too, with a lot of layers and wipes in post.  Still haven't figured out how to get a c-stand in my luggage.

http://www.litepanels.com/lp/products/micropro.html

No comments:

Post a Comment