Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Canon 60D

I'm now the proud owner of a Canon 60D.  After shooting extensively with both the 5D and the 7D I decided I wanted the deeper depth of field that comes with the smaller “Super 35” sensor. 

Although I love the look of the ”Full Frame” (full still camera frame) sensor of the 5D, the shallow depth of field can be both beautiful and challenging. The smaller sensor give you a fighting chance to ride focus when you’re working wide open but still give that large sensor shallow depth of field look.


The real disadvantage of the APS-C size is the 1.6 crop factor that makes every lens longer.  For example, a 24mm lens becomes a 39mm.  It’s hard to find a sharp, fast, reasonably priced wide angle zoom then I found the Tokina 11-16 which I’ll cover in a later blog.


The 7D, 60D, T3i and T2i have the same exact sensor and processers and record the same signal, so why the 60D?


To start, I wanted a flip out LCD.  I’ve put my head in the dirt too many times to frame a low angle shot with the 5D/7D fixed LCD and I wanted the ability to see the VF from any position just like any other video camera I've ever owned.


While the T3i also has a flip out LCD and is cheaper than the 60D, it doesn’t have the full set on controls of the 5D/7D/60D, most notably the big Quick Control Dial.  And the big multi-function Multi-Controller star button is easier to access than on the 5D/7D.


Finally, on the 60D the dial locks and has a special position just for video so you don’t have to constantly hit the “Live View” button.   You turn the camera on and it’s ready to shoot video.



As with most things, there’s a down side:  You can’t take stills in movie mode unless you’re rolling video.  Stop recording and you have to move the dial to a still photo setting.  Luckily, I’m usually either shooting stills or video or trying to grab both at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment