Friday, June 15, 2012

Canon t4i

The Canon t4i (Canon 650 in Europe) is the new flagship of the consumer camera with a couple of great features, my favorite being the new power switch which you'll note is off, still and video.


On my 60D the video mode is on the mode dial which means switching from video to stills means pulling the camera from my eye and turning the dial.  Sure, the 60D takes stills in video mode but they come out 16x9 even though the entire 3x2 image is recorded.


Speaking of the mode dial, there's two new modes:  Hand Held Night Scene and HDL Backlight which is Canon's HDR mode.  HH Night combines 4 images to reduce noise and HDL combines 3 images to increase apparent latitude.


There's a new chip in the t4i, that improves face detection, which allows for continuous autofocus even in video mode.  But don't get to excited.  It doesn't work well with the USM lens motors which is in just about in every Canon lens made.  The USM motor was designed to focus fast for still shooters.


There's a new STM motor designed for shooting video that focuses slower and smoother but is only available in two lenses at the moment and neither is an L series lens.  But I do have a weak spot for pancake lenses like the 40mm that's available.


Canon is also touting the Digic 5 processor but as far as I can tell this only effects still burst rate, from 3.7 to 5 frames per second.  Big whoop.


The big WOW is supposedly the touch screen.  You can go through the menu, change focus points, pinch and zoom to check focus, change f-stop, shutter, etc.  all by touching the screen.  This would be great IF I DIDN'T USE A ZACUTO VIEWFINDER which makes the touchscreen practically useless.


There are other consumer goodies like 7 different in camera effects like water color and a stereo mic on top so I can hear myself breathing and the auto focus motor even better. 


The street price of the t4i is $850 for body only.  I saw a t3i kit in Costco yesterday for about that price with two kit lenses.  I don't think I'd use the touch screen nor trust the auto focus (what if I'm not shooting faces?).  But I do like that power switch...

For more info, here's a few reviews of the Canon t4i:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sOBGbvm3I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2s_wSFwRY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRS1RhXpAmM&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment