Thursday, December 1, 2011

Tokina 11-16

The first lens I bought for my 60D was the Tokina 11-16mm.  It’s sharp, fast (f2.8) and the reason I could buy a “Super 35mm” sized sensor camera.


Although I like the deeper depth of field of a APC-C sized sensor, the 1.6 crop factor makes every lens longer.  The super wide Canon 16-35mm lens becomes a semi-wide 26-56mm equivalent.  But the Tokina's 11-16mm becomes a 17-25mm basically filing the role of the Canon wide angle zoom.


How good is the Tokina 11-16?  Ken Rockwell thinks this lens is better than any Nikon wide-angle and Ducloss takes this $750 lens, gives it a new outer shell, adds an aperture ring and sells it for $3500 bucks… and they can’t keep them in stock! 


You can’t use this lens on the 5D, I know, I’ve tried. It’s OK at 16mm but any wider and it vinnettes and I don’t mean just a bit.  At 11mm looks like a circle wide.  But the Tokina fully covers a Super 35mm sized chip.


This lens must have been originally designed for the Nikon.  Even though my Canon version focuses in the right direction (far/clockwise, near/counter clockwise) the zoom still goes the wrong way.  Drive me crazy but it’s still a great lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment